Monday 25 May 2015

Runners-up in Golf - Pennants play

Yay, a Gympie team shines ...

For the uninitiated Pennants is a form of competition involving match play which is played inter-club on a district zone level.  It used to be for dinky-di players (low handicappers) but they have introduced an open category whereby the rules are a little more flexible e.g a team of 5 players that could be interchanged and handicaps were played to, and a shorter season.  This being the case, it allowed players like myself who are relatively inexperienced to participate in serious one-on-one matchplay (players play against one another instead of against the course).




I'm not claiming to be an actual competitor but I was the reserve - in case anyone had a mishap during the week or on the morning of the game then I was it.  Fortunately for the team and me, my opportunity didn't arise which I am quietly relieved.  My form has been somewhat lacking of late!

I caddied and observed for the better players to better my understanding of match play - the procedure, marking the card and learning tactics and strategies.  I learnt one needs to be very competitive, determined and it's not for the faint-hearted.  I could get to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BANJO aka Brat